[openstack-dev] [Nova] New API requirements, review of GCE

Alexandre Levine alevine at cloudscaling.com
Wed Dec 4 09:31:15 UTC 2013

04.12.2013 11:57, Christopher Yeoh ?????:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Alexandre Levine
> <alevine at cloudscaling.com <mailto:alevine at cloudscaling.com>> wrote:
>
>     It is not a problem to update the code in given direction when the
>     decision is made. As I understood right now it's not about the
>     code - that's why I'd canceled the code review until the blueprint
>     is accepted - it's more about architecture and procedures such as
>     which tests should be obligatory and alike.
>
>     My vision of architecture when we'd started the project was:
>     Yes, eventually GCE API as well as EC2 should be a separate
>     service because of the following reasons:
>     1. It covers wider functionality than compute - in fact it covers
>     almost the whole cloud. That's why both EC2 and GCE have to go to
>     Neutron, Cinder and other services out of the nova boundaries to
>     perform tasks not related to compute at all.
>     2. Nova is quite big already and has lots of services. It'll be
>     great to disintegrate it a little bit for simplicity, loose
>     coupling and such other reasons.
>
>     But:
>     As long as EC2 is in the nova other alike APIs might stay there as
>     well. And it is rather a different task to separate them from it.
>

> It does add a small amount of overhead to making changes to internal
> Nova apis as in addition to making the appropriate changes to the
> native Nova API and EC2, patches will also have to modify the GCE API
> as well.

Agree.

>     The thing is - we can make GCE API a separate service but we need
>     to be told about that. Some decisions should be made so that we
>     could react or we won't have time and might miss even Icehouse.
>

> Apologies if I've missed an answer to this question before, but would
> it be possible to sit the GCE API on top of the Nova REST API which
> has much higher guarantees of stability compared to the internal Nova
> APIs?

It is totally possible to sit the GCE API on top of the Nova, Neutron,
Cinder and other REST APIs. In fact It is already on top of other REST
APIs except for Nova services which we'd implemented as it's done in EC2
for uniformity's sake.

> Chris

Best regards,
   Alex Levine