[openstack-dev] Grizzly's out - let the numbers begin...

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Fri Apr 5 18:31:49 UTC 2013

On Friday, April 5, 2013 at 14:17 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:

> Let me pull in the authors of the study, as they may be able to shed
> some light on the inconsistencies you found.
>
> Eric, Joshua: can you please send Daniel and Jesus more details so they
> can look into them?

I made a note on the blog. The response to others indicates that their results are based on two different methodologies (git-dm and their own dataset analysis), this would likely be the source of differences in numbers.  I haven't noticed variations anywhere except author counts, but I haven't looked very hard, either.

I guess it could also be differences or errors in employee->company mappings? Perhaps instead, one methodology includes those that report bugs, while the other only accounts for git? I'm not sure.

Other things like dividing commits/authors seems to just be the wrong methodology where a median would be more appropriate and harder to game.

Regards,
Eric Windisch