[openstack-dev] Grizzly's out - let the numbers begin...

Daniel Izquierdo dizquierdo at bitergia.com
Fri Apr 5 19:18:13 UTC 2013

Hi Eric,

On 04/05/2013 08:31 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:

> On Friday, April 5, 2013 at 14:17 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
>
>> Let me pull in the authors of the study, as they may be able to shed
>> some light on the inconsistencies you found.
>>
>> Eric, Joshua: can you please send Daniel and Jesus more details so they
>> can look into them?
>
> I made a note on the blog. The response to others indicates that their
> results are based on two different methodologies (git-dm and their own
> dataset analysis), this would likely be the source of differences in
> numbers.  I haven't noticed variations anywhere except author counts,
> but I haven't looked very hard, either.

The methodology we have used to match developers and affiliations is
based on information partially obtained from the OpenStack gitdm
project, but also compared to our own dataset (that we already had from
previous releases). Sorry if I didn't explain myself consistently in the
blog.

The bug here is related to how we're calculating data for the
spreadsheets and company by company. The result is that the company by
company analysis had a bug, and we were counting some more developers
than expected and commits (we were counting for instance as two
different people a developer who used at some point two different email
addresses).

So, the data at the tables (bottom part in the main page) is the correct
one. The data for the source code management system in the left part of
each of the companies is overestimated.

In addition, the number of commits in Rackspace will be a bit higher for
the next round. Another developer told us that he moved from one company
to Rackspace at some point, so you will see how that number will
increased a bit.

> I guess it could also be differences or errors in employee->company
> mappings? Perhaps instead, one methodology includes those that report
> bugs, while the other only accounts for git? I'm not sure.

Regarding to this point, the data about bug tracking system and mailing
lists is only based on activity from developers. This means that people
that have not committed a change to the source code are not counted as
part of the activity of companies in Launchpad and Mailing Lists. In any
case and as an example, we're covering around a 60% of the activity in
the mailing lists because people that at some point submitted changes to
the Git are that active.

Our purpose with this is to show only activity from developers and their
affiliations through the three data sources (git, tickets and mailing
lists). This is also an option. From our point of view this analysis was
pretty interesting, but perhaps for others this is not good enough.

> Other things like dividing commits/authors seems to just be the wrong
> methodology where a median would be more appropriate and harder to game.

This is a good point. As you mention it is probably more fair to have
such metric. At some point we would like to show some boxplots and other
metrics to better understand the distribution of the datasets, but we
had to choose some. In any case, we will take into account this for the
next reports for sure. Thanks!

Probably a good approach would be to have a common view with all of the
people interested in this type of analysis. In this way we could reach
an agreement about how to visualize data, necessary and interesting
metrics, common methodology to measure stuff and projects involved. This
analysis is just a possibility, but there are some more for sure.

In any case, please, let us know any other concerns you may have and any
feedback of the community is more than appreciated.

Thanks a lot for all your comments.

Regards,
Daniel Izquierdo.

--