[openstack-dev] Nova no-db-compute update

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Sat Oct 27 16:37:19 UTC 2012

On 10/27/2012 12:20 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 10/26/2012 09:38 PM, Michael Still wrote:
>> On 10/24/2012 02:27 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> The "no-db-compute" project is for removing direct database access from
>>> the nova-compute service.  The purpose of this message is to provide an
>>> update on the status of the effort.
>>
>> I just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread. No DB compute is a
>> big deal for all of us, even if we're not working on it.
>>
>> I'd be interested in general suggestions for how you think others can
>> help out (if in fact you need help at the moment).
>
> I think we're good on help at the moment.  We're focusing on the last
> bits of lower hanging fruit.  Just watch out for no-db-compute patches
> and review them quickly.  :-)

On second thought, I think there is some room for help.

Check out this post:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2012-October/001842.html

There are a few different areas of "no-db-messaging" type changes that
still need to be done.  The last thing I was doing was the uses of
"migration_get".  I've got a couple more to do.  After that I'll keep
doing the rest, but I would love it if patches showed up before I got to
them.

Here are some places where patches could be written using the same
pattern of sending the data via rpc from the api service:

 - remove uses of aggregate_get
 - a few places looking up instance_type info that could be removed
 - a couple of methods still looking up block device mappings
 - live_migration looks up a floating ip

Check the etherpad for details ... also please update the bottom of the
etherpad once you start working on a patch so that we don't step on each
other.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-nova-no-db-compute

Thanks!

--