[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Automatic tests

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Sun Oct 7 08:51:21 UTC 2012

The unit testd were transferred to file because in_memory db was leaking
memory, causing the jenkins job to go OOM. So this is ptobably not going to
help a lot as the infra team informed us unit tests should be able to run
on a 2gb ram machine.

The flipside of this id that now they take longer, and sometimes the
jenkins job kills itself because cannot finish in 30 minutes.
So, as you native english speakers say, we're between a rock and a hard
place.

Assuming we can find a way to stem the memory leak, I would like to kerp in
memory unit tests. I tried, but to no avail. It seems sqlite does not free
memory even if you explicitly destroy tables.

Otherwise, Bob proposed to mount the sqlite db file into a ram fs. I have
not spent any time on thid, but assumung it is feasible for the infra team,
I think this would be the way to go.

Last resort would be to shorten the number of tests by removing
test_<pluginname>_plugin modules and appropriate modules which run only
unit tests for covering methods overriden by the specific plugin.