[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Automatic tests

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Sun Oct 7 09:00:40 UTC 2012

On 10/07/2012 10:51 AM, Salvatore Orlando wrote:

> The unit testd were transferred to file because in_memory db was
> leaking memory, causing the jenkins job to go OOM. So this is ptobably
> not going to help a lot as the infra team informed us unit tests
> should be able to run on a 2gb ram machine.
>
> The flipside of this id that now they take longer, and sometimes the
> jenkins job kills itself because cannot finish in 30 minutes.
> So, as you native english speakers say, we're between a rock and a
> hard place.

True. I agree with you.

> Assuming we can find a way to stem the memory leak, I would like to
> kerp in memory unit tests. I tried, but to no avail. It seems sqlite
> does not free memory even if you explicitly destroy tables.

I will try and look around to see if there is some way of freeing the
memory. Do you know which sqlalchemy version is used.
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/blog/ indicates that there were some memory
leak issues fixed.

> Otherwise, Bob proposed to mount the sqlite db file into a ram fs. I
> have not spent any time on thid, but assumung it is feasible for the
> infra team, I think this would be the way to go.

I tried this - from what I read it indicated that one should use the
cache pragma. This reduces the time to half but it is still very high -
for example 2 seconds for a unit test.