[OpenStack-DefCore] Integrated, Core and the TC, a historical perspective

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 21:51:00 UTC 2014

On 04/09/2014 05:08 PM, Randy Bias wrote:
> Great summary, Thierry.
>
> As a side note to your side note (below), I’d like to point out that
> sometimes the terms we use may be biting us in the nether regions.  We
> now have ~14 projects that are “integrated” every 6 months with many
> more coming.  To folks outside of OpenStack that looks like a big
> monolithic release of “OpenStack” but what it really is multiple
> simultaneous releases that have been tested together.  This is less
> about “integration” and more about a tested coordinated multi-project
> release.
>
> Now, I’m not advocating changing any names, I’m simply trying to bring
> to our collective attention that OpenStack is frequently perceived to be
> this big monolithic project and it’s not.  You could clearly take Heat
> and use it separately without the rest of OpenStack and that still is an
> OpenStack related project.  These waters will get even muddier as some
> of the projects “up the stack” such as DBaaS, messaging services,
> platform services, etc. come of age.  All of these can and probably will
> run on non-OpenStack infrastructure.
>
> Don’t get me wrong.  There is huge value in all of these being tested
> and released together and it makes OpenStack a very strong candidate for
> anyone building a cloud with these services, but as the number of
> projects we support grows they will be less and less “integrated”.  It
> would be good if we could keep this in mind as we move forward.  I would
> love it if the community, pundits, foundation, analysts, and reporters,
> collectively changed how they referred to these projects such that it
> reflected where we are headed.
>
> So, in this regard, the clarifications around core vs. integrated, the
> clearer dividing lines of responsibility for TC vs. BOD are extremely
> welcome, but really I think only a first step.

Some of your comments assume projects higher up the stack don't depend
on the projects lower in the stack, and that is simply false in many cases.

Heat is *DEEPLY* integrated with the rest of OpenStack.  Trove manages
instances using Nova's API.  Nearly every project gets integrated with
Heat and Horizon.  etc ...

Integration is something the TC puts a lot of value on.  Even as we
grow, I think an integrated release is still a reasonable and accurate
depiction of what we're building as a community.

--
Russell Bryant