[OpenStack-DefCore] Integrated, Core and the TC, a historical perspective

Randy Bias randyb at cloudscaling.com
Thu Apr 10 00:36:23 UTC 2014

I don’t think there is any question that testing the integration of the components of OpenStack is a huge value.  I think you misinterpreted the original email or perhaps I wasn’t as clear as I could have been.  If so, I apologize for that.  I’m trying to help us all here.

As I said, I’m concerned that the terminology in use sometimes makes people think that OpenStack is one big thing, when it’s not.  Of course Heat is deeply integrated to OpenStack, but it’s not ONLY integrated to OpenStack.

I’m calling out that people outside the project are frequently confused by the terminology we use and how we portray the project.  The whole reason for the efforts of the DefCore committee is to address this issue as it relates to usage of trademark.  I’m saying there is a bigger challenge here, which is how the greater marketplace perceives OpenStack as a monolithic project.  I actually think that’s detrimental to adoption, both of the entire project, but also if folks want to peel off a piece and use that (e.g. OpenStack Heat with vSphere or CloudStack).

If someone wants to use Heat or Trove on top of vCloud+vSphere we should encourage that as ultimately it may be the trojan horse that brings them all of the way into the fold.  I really don’t think OpenStack should be an all or nothing set of projects.

Perhaps I’m barking up the wrong tree here, but my intention is to help, not hinder our collective efforts.

Thanks,

--Randy

Founder & CEO, Cloudscaling
Board of Directors, OpenStack Foundation
+1 (415) 787-2253 [SMS or voice]
TWITTER: twitter.com/randybias
LINKEDIN: linkedin.com/in/randybias
CALENDAR: doodle.com/randybias