[OpenStack-DefCore] Integrated, Core and the TC, a historical perspective (was: Revised Bylaws)

Randy Bias randyb at cloudscaling.com
Wed Apr 9 21:08:02 UTC 2014

Great summary, Thierry.

As a side note to your side note (below), I’d like to point out that sometimes the terms we use may be biting us in the nether regions.  We now have ~14 projects that are “integrated” every 6 months with many more coming.  To folks outside of OpenStack that looks like a big monolithic release of “OpenStack” but what it really is multiple simultaneous releases that have been tested together.  This is less about “integration” and more about a tested coordinated multi-project release.

Now, I’m not advocating changing any names, I’m simply trying to bring to our collective attention that OpenStack is frequently perceived to be this big monolithic project and it’s not.  You could clearly take Heat and use it separately without the rest of OpenStack and that still is an OpenStack related project.  These waters will get even muddier as some of the projects “up the stack” such as DBaaS, messaging services, platform services, etc. come of age.  All of these can and probably will run on non-OpenStack infrastructure.

Don’t get me wrong.  There is huge value in all of these being tested and released together and it makes OpenStack a very strong candidate for anyone building a cloud with these services, but as the number of projects we support grows they will be less and less “integrated”.  It would be good if we could keep this in mind as we move forward.  I would love it if the community, pundits, foundation, analysts, and reporters, collectively changed how they referred to these projects such that it reflected where we are headed.

So, in this regard, the clarifications around core vs. integrated, the clearer dividing lines of responsibility for TC vs. BOD are extremely welcome, but really I think only a first step.

re:
On Apr 9, 2014, at 3:01 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> As a sidenote, it could be useful to clarify how integrated projects are
> allowed to use the "OpenStack" name. We call the thing we release every
> 6 months "OpenStack". It's made of a set of integrated projects (decided
> by the TC), it sounds logical that those subprojects can call themselves
> OpenStack X. Maybe that could be a specific provision of the trademark
> rules rather than the bylaws though.

Best,

--Randy

Founder & CEO, Cloudscaling
Board of Directors, OpenStack Foundation
+1 (415) 787-2253 [SMS or voice]
TWITTER: twitter.com/randybias
LINKEDIN: linkedin.com/in/randybias
CALENDAR: doodle.com/randybias