[Product] Cross Project Liaison Discussion Summary

Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com
Wed Jan 20 16:05:18 UTC 2016

Sounds reasonable.
Should we add fields in blueprint/spec:
One for PWG CPL, and for user story it linked to?
That way PWG CPL will automatically get notification for changes and one can walk up and down a tree of all blueprints/spec (and down to pull requests) associated with a user story.

Thanks,
Arkady

-----Original Message-----
From: Kenny Johnston [mailto:kencjohnston at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:24 PM
To: OpenStack Product Work Group
Subject: [Product] Cross Project Liaison Discussion Summary

During our recent meeting[1] there was a discussion about the changing role of CPLs in both the Product Work Group and the individual project teams.
The conversation got cut short by the bell and I took the action to summarize and see if we could transition the dialog to the mailing list.

Here goes :)

SUMMARY:
Our Product "Add A Feature/Improvement" workflow[2] describes interaction with both PWG Cross Project Liaisons(CPLs) and Project Cross Project Spec Liaisons (CPSL) quite well.

First a cross-project spec is added to the cross project repo by a PWG User Story Owner (USO), it is approved by CPLs from the given projects and officially added by the TC. After the TC has added a cross-project spec it is incumbent upon the PWG USO to work with PWG CPLs and CPSLs to assign ownership to implementors in each project and track status.

During our conversation Mike Perez brought up that we are getting more formal definition of who the CPSL is in each project[3], and we should all re-orient ourselves to those individuals, who might be the PTL but might not, as our points of contact within the project.

EXAMPLE:
The PWG drafts and prioritizes a use case to make OpenStack deployable on a fleet of RasberryPis. Kenny Johnston is assigned USO. The project will require work in Nova, Neutron, Glance, Cinder, Glance and Keystone (sorry no object storage, dashboard or containers needed). From the PWG CPL list we see that Hugh, Shamail, Sheena, Nate and Mike are our CPLs. Those folks would work with the CPSLs in their designated project to review a drafted Cross Project Spec, and once approved find owners for the various work items required by that Spec and Provide Status to Kenny via the Tracker as blueprints, project specs and bugs are identified. Later we all celebrate that a RasberryPi OpenStack platform (PiNet) has gained autonomy and subjugated us all.

Make sense? Thoughts? Boos?

Thanks!

--
Kenny Johnston