[Product] Cross Project Liaison Discussion Summary

Kenny Johnston kencjohnston at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:23:40 UTC 2016

During our recent meeting[1] there was a discussion about the changing role
of CPLs in both the Product Work Group and the individual project teams.
The conversation got cut short by the bell and I took the action to
summarize and see if we could transition the dialog to the mailing list.

Here goes :)

SUMMARY:
Our Product "Add A Feature/Improvement" workflow[2] describes interaction
with both PWG Cross Project Liaisons(CPLs) and Project Cross Project Spec
Liaisons (CPSL) quite well.

First a cross-project spec is added to the cross project repo by a PWG User
Story Owner (USO), it is approved by CPLs from the given projects and
officially added by the TC. After the TC has added a cross-project spec it
is incumbent upon the PWG  USO to work with PWG CPLs and CPSLs to assign
ownership to implementors in each project and track status.

During our conversation Mike Perez brought up that we are getting more
formal definition of who the CPSL is in each project[3], and we should all
re-orient ourselves to those individuals, who might be the PTL but might
not, as our points of contact within the project.

EXAMPLE:
The PWG drafts and prioritizes a use case to make OpenStack deployable on a
fleet of RasberryPis. Kenny Johnston is assigned USO. The project will
require work in Nova, Neutron, Glance, Cinder, Glance and Keystone (sorry
no object storage, dashboard or containers needed). From the PWG CPL list
we see that Hugh, Shamail, Sheena, Nate and Mike are our CPLs. Those folks
would work with the CPSLs in their designated project to review a drafted
Cross Project Spec, and once approved find owners for the various work
items required by that Spec and Provide Status to Kenny via the Tracker as
blueprints, project specs and bugs are identified. Later we all celebrate
that a RasberryPi OpenStack platform (PiNet) has gained autonomy and
subjugated us all.

Make sense? Thoughts? Boos?

Thanks!

--