[Product] Prevent another "Cinder drivers fiasco"

Shamail itzshamail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 01:35:49 UTC 2015

Hi Stefano,

I have caught up on the issue at hand.  First off, I will say that we were not impacted by this change BUT that has a significant amount to do with how our Cinder teams laid out (internally) the critical nature of adhering to 3rd party CI for driver contributions after Atlanta.

The communication seemed to be there; I am not certain if the "cut-off" date/release was well-defined but this could simply be  due to the fact that I was partially removed from the process and didn't notice it.

I am wondering if the bigger issue is the support model development teams have inside their own organizations?  For example, I wonder if the developers raised the "alarm" internally but could not find the right process (or group to work with) to get a publicly accessible server deployed within their organization or other similar requirements for 3rd party CI?

If that is indeed the issue then we might be able to help by laying out the requirements, ramifications, and deadlines openly (via the same mechanism as long-term roadmap) and also sharing these items within our own companies.

My personal opinion is that the issue may have been internal propagation (and ability to take action) of an external (community) requirement.  I could be completely off base, but I am glad you raised this topic here.  We should try to help prevent a repeat in the future, however we best can as a group.

I, too, would love to hear from someone that was impacted to determine root-cause and how we can prevent this.

Thanks,
Shamail