[Product] How use cases works

Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com
Fri Jun 5 17:05:59 UTC 2015

Suggest we start higher – use cases.
Use Case is project independent.
Then based on the use case we can create blueprints for specific projects.
Then Specs.
We can track progress of the use case support based on all blueprints for it.

I would like to start with relatively small use case – DB cleanup of deleted objects.
It came multiple times in different projects I am involved.
Projects correctly decided that it does not belong in them directly.
Maybe it will land in Oslo, maybe in separate scripts in Rally or maybe separate project for operator tools.

Need to start somewhere, create use case (define format and repo for it). Then review. Decide who from outside Product WG we should ask to review it.

Pick some use case and do dry run.
Thanks,
Arkady

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Daniel Bonnetot [mailto:jean-daniel.bonnetot at ovh.net]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2015 11:47 AM
To: Haselmaier, James
Cc: product-wg at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Product] How use cases works

hmm…
In a perfect world I agree with you.
In reality, it’s more complex.

Blueprint, currently, are the *What that need to be done*.
And specs are the *What* + *How*.

Here is an example
BP: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/flavor-resize-restriction
Specs: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/182345/

The *use case* is really well explained in the specs (where you can find the *How* too) and the blueprint give a good idea of *What that need to be done*.
To give you a use case, I can’t say more that you can already read in the specs in the 36 first lines.

--
Jean-Daniel
@pilgrimstack