[Openstack] Nova + LXD + Ceph?

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 15 15:25:42 UTC 2018

Hi Torin

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 at 13:59 Torin Woltjer <torin.woltjer at granddial.com>
wrote:

> Thank you for the response James.
>
> I now have a couple of further questions regarding boot volume support on
> nova-lxd.
>
> Is this feature on the radar?

Not right now; I'm not entirely sure its even possible with LXD but I've
not dug into this in huge detail to date.

> On nova-kvm documentation states you need shared storage for live
> migration; is this the same case with nova-lxd, or can you live migrate
> between compute hosts when using a dir storage pool for root?

Its possible to block migrate as part of the live-migration process for
libvirt/kvm; With regards to live migration in LXD - this is definitely an
experimental feature right now; CRIU is improving all of the time and
live-migration might just work for your workload but there are lots of
common cases that probably don't.

> Putting the host's LXD storage under a folder that a ceph pool is mounted
> on, while an obvious sleight of hand, what would the repercussions be?

I think this is probably OK right now, but its not something I've
personally tried as most of our validation for nova-lxd is based around
2.0.x series, which does not have support for storage pools + ceph.

> I don't know if anyone has answers to these, but any are welcome. I'm
> assuming the feature I'm looking for relys on work from the nova project
> rather than the LXD project; I will try to track down a nova features
> timeline or submit a request myself.

nova-lxd is still a separate team and project:

   https://github.com/openstack/nova-lxd

so its a little different to main Nova development right now; a bug report
at:

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova-lxd

is a good place to start!

Cheers