[Openstack] Nova + LXD + Ceph?

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 13 09:32:58 UTC 2018

Hi Torin

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 at 21:52, Torin Woltjer <torin.woltjer at granddial.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking to deploy an openstack cluster using LXD for compute and Ceph
> for storage, and I was running into some doubt as to whether this was
> possible; and doubt that nova-lxd was mature enough for production. If
> anyone is running nova-lxd in production, or knows anything about it,
> please let me know. I've had a hard time finding good informational
> resources on the topic, specifically relating to LXD + Ceph; which is
> supposedly possible, but I haven't heard if it's possible in Openstack. If
> you otherwise know of a resource that could be helpful to me, I would
> appreciate hearing it.

Short answer is that nova-lxd does support use with Ceph, but only for
additional block devices  (I.e no boot from volume or ephemeral device
support right now).

You have highlighted a documentation gap - there are a few non obvious
things todo like ensuring that cinder creates RBD devices with a minimal
feature set to support use the the kRBD driver used for nova-lxd.  Will
look to put a howto for ceph in place shortly!

Cheers

James