[Openstack] [Swift] Composite ring building

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Mar 9 04:07:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm looking at what the state of play is for using Erasure coding with a
multi region topology (ahem - again). It seems to me that (as of approx
2.15) the recommended way to design this makes use of:

- ec_duplication_factor and

- composite rings

The former is clearly just a parameter, whereas the composite rings
require a number of individual rings (each placing stuff in a single
region) joined together with...err - yes that's my question: with what?
I see some code (compose_rings in common/ring/composite_builder.py) that
look to be what I need to use, but there is no handy binary calling any
of this stuff (that I can see anyway). Are we supposed to do a bit of
python for ourselves to use these? (rubs hands ready to hack...)...

Cheers

Mark