[Openstack] [HA] Upgrade existing environment to HA

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Thu Mar 8 15:50:28 UTC 2018

Hi list,

I have a question regarding high availability.
There's an existing cloud (Ocata) which developed from demo to
production environment. Now I have to find a way to make it highly
available, starting with the control node. I've been gathering all
kinds of information to prepare a migration.

The plan is to leave the existing single-controller up and running
while I configure two new servers in HA mode with Pike release in the
meantime. There are two main aspects causing some headaches: database
and networking. I believe the database part could be tricky but
manageable, stop mysql at some point and dump the DB, then import it
to the new control node(s) (maybe on shared storage) and hope that it
works.

But what about neutron and the self-service networks with all the
virtual routers etc.? Is it even possible to recreate the neutron
environment on a different node? I read the guide on how to make
neutron ha if you start from scratch, but is my approach realisticly
possible?

I would really appreciate any insights from you guys. Is there maybe
someone who has done this and could comment my approach?

Regards,
Eugen

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : eblock at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983