[Openstack] NUMA some of the time?

Toni Mueller toni.mueller at oeko.net
Mon Jul 16 14:30:41 UTC 2018

Hi Jay,

On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 12:46:04PM -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
> There is no current way to say "On this dual-Xeon compute node, put all
> workloads that don't care about dedicated CPUs on this socket and all
> workloads that DO care about dedicated CPUs on the other socket.".

it turned out that this is not what I should want to say. What I should
say instead is:

"Run all VMs on all cores, but if certain VMs suddenly spike, give them
all they ask for at the expense of everyone else, and also avoid moving
them around between cores, if possible."

The idea is that these high priority VMs are (probably) idle most of the
time, but at other times need high performance. It was thus deemed to be
a huge waste to reserve cores for them.

> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/555081/

Thank you for the pointer!

Thanks,