[Openstack] NUMA some of the time?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:46:04 UTC 2018

Hi Tony,

The short answer is that you cannot do that today. Today, each Nova
compute node is either "all in" for NUMA and CPU pinning or it's not.

This means that for resource-constrained environments like "The Edge!",
there are not very good ways to finely divide up a compute node and make
the most efficient use of its resources.

There is no current way to say "On this dual-Xeon compute node, put all
workloads that don't care about dedicated CPUs on this socket and all
workloads that DO care about dedicated CPUs on the other socket.".

That said, we have had lengthy discussions about tracking dedicated
guest CPU resources and dividing up the available logical host
processors into buckets for "shared CPU" and "dedicated CPU" workloads
on the following spec:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/555081/

It is not going to land in Rocky. However, we should be able to make
good progress towards the goals in that spec in early Stein.

Best,
-jay