[Openstack] Compute node on bare metal?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:45:07 UTC 2018

On 07/02/2018 09:45 AM, Houssam ElBouanani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently finished installing a minimal OpenStack Queens
> environment for a school project, and was asked whether it is possible
> to deploy an additional compute node on bare metal, aka without an
> underlying operating system, in order to eliminate the operating system
> overhead and thus to maximize performance.

Whomever asked you about this must be confusing a *hypervisor* with an
operating system. Using baremetal means you eliminate the overhead of
the *hypervisor* (virtualization). It doesn't mean you eliminate the
operating system. You can't do much of anything with a baremetal machine
that has no operating system on it.

Best,
-jay