[Openstack] Compute node on bare metal?

Houssam ElBouanani elbouanani.houssam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:45:39 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have recently finished installing a minimal OpenStack Queens environment
for a school project, and was asked whether it is possible to deploy an
additional compute node on bare metal, aka without an underlying operating
system, in order to eliminate the operating system overhead and thus to
maximize performance. I personally guess not because the compute node needs
to run some services in order to function. Am I wrong?

Please keep in mind that I am not referring to the Ironic service, as I
wish to install a compute node on bare metal, not to provision bare metal
machines to users.

Thanks!