[Openstack] Compute Node not mounting disk to VM's

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Wed Feb 28 14:45:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but it seems that
you're not alone with this. In the past 10 days or so I have read
about very similiar issues multiple times (e.g. [1], [2]). In fact, it
sounds like the update could be responsible for these changes.

Usually, you can change the disk_bus by specifying glance image
properties, something like this:

openstack image set --property hw_scsi_model=virtio-scsi --property
hw_disk_bus=scsi --property hw_qemu_guest_agent=yes --property
os_require_quiesce=yes <IMAGE_ID>

But I doubt any effect of this, there has to be something else telling
libvirt to use scsi instead of virtio. I hope someone else has an idea
where to look at since I don't have this issue and can't reproduce it.

What is your output for

---cut here---
root at compute:~ # grep -A3 virtio-blk
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules
# virtio-blk
KERNEL=="vd*[!0-9]", ATTRS{serial}=="?*",
ENV{ID_SERIAL}="$attr{serial}",
SYMLINK+="disk/by-id/virtio-$env{ID_SERIAL}"
KERNEL=="vd*[0-9]", ATTRS{serial}=="?*",
ENV{ID_SERIAL}="$attr{serial}",
SYMLINK+="disk/by-id/virtio-$env{ID_SERIAL}-part%n"
---cut here---

You could also take a look into
/etc/glance/metadefs/compute-libvirt-image.json, maybe there is
something wrong there, but as I said, I can't really reproduce this.

Good luck!

[1]
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/112488/libvirt-not-allocating-cpu-and-disk-to-vms-after-the-os-update/
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1560965

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : eblock at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983