[Openstack] [nova]Capacity discrepancy between command line and MySQL query

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:06:18 UTC 2018

On 08/27/2018 09:40 AM, Risto Vaaraniemi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to migrate a guest to another host but it failed with a
> message saying there's not enough capacity on the target host even
> though the server should me nearly empty. The guest I'm trying to
> move needs 4 cores, 4 GB of memory and 50 GB of disk. Each compute
> node should have 20 cores, 128 GB RAM & 260 GB HD space.
>
> When I check it with "openstack host show compute1" I see that there's
> plenty of free resources. However, when I check it directly in MariaDB
> nova_api or using Placement API calls I see different results i.e. not
> enough cores & disk.
>
> Is there a safe way to make the different registries / databases to
> match? Can I just overwrite it using the Placement API?
>
> I'm using Pike.
>
> BR,
> Risto
>
> PS
> I did make a few attempts to resize the guest that now runs on
> compute1 but for some reason they failed and by default the resize
> tries to restart the resized guest on a different host (compute1).
> In the end I was able to do the resize on the same host (compute2).
> I was wondering if the resize attempts messed up the compute1 resource
> management.

Very likely, yes.

It's tough to say what exact sequence of resize and migrate commands
have caused your inventory and allocation records in placement to become
corrupted.

Have you tried restarting the nova-compute services on both compute
nodes and seeing whether the placement service tries to adjust
allocations upon restart?

Also, please check the logs on the nova-compute workers looking for any
warnings or errors related to communication with placement.

Best,
-jay