[Openstack] Lose 30+ seconds of packets to instance during Live-Migration

Sterdnot Shaken sterdnotshaken at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 17:56:05 UTC 2018

Version: Pike
OVS version: 2.9

VM-A (On Compute A) ----- (On Compute B) VM-B

What is it in Neutron that might delay vxlan tunnel construction on the
destination compute node during live-migration? As the VM is live-migrated,
I'm watch the flows and the vxlan tunnel interfaces on br-tun on the
Compute node where the VM is moving too and they don't appear until 30+
seconds into the migration. I'm wondering if this is the cause of packet
loss during this migration that's around ~35 seconds or so.

The strange thing is, if I start a continuous ping from VM B on compute B
to VM A on compute A and then initiate a live-migration of VM A to move to
Compute B, I only lose ~1 second of traffic, which leads me to suspect this
issue is related to said tunnels or flows on br-tun...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve