[Openstack] [OpenStack][Keystone][new_service]

B.M.Canning bmc20 at kent.ac.uk
Fri Aug 17 16:34:06 UTC 2018

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm not looking to develop a real, useful, new service for OpenStack but
develop a dummy service that plugs into OpenStack's authorisation
infrastructure in a way that it looks like an OpenStack service which
integrates with Keystone, like, say the Swift service. See picture
attached, where the swift object represents a resource in the dummy
service.

The dummy service itself is a web-based game of snakes and ladders
written in JavaScript/jQuery which makes Ajax calls to its PEP, written
in PHP. The PHP code interacts with Keystone via the PHP cURL library
and also logs all game actions in a MariaDB database.

The game has been written in a way that it can be exploited by malicious
users who already have access to the system, e.g players can travel up
the snakes or simply ignore the snakes. The idea is that an autonomic
controller is recording the user's actions, analysing them, planning a
response (if necessary) and executing a change. This change could be
inserting a policy line into policy.json or via the congress API. It
could also be removing a role from a user which denies them further
access to the resource in Keystone.

The aim of this research is to produce an effective and efficient means
of mitigating against insider threats directed at computing resources
and information systems. This idea has been previously examined with
LDAP serving as an authentication service and PERMIS serving as an
authorisation service [1]. What is of interest here is porting the setup
to an authorisation infrastructure that is relevant to cloud computing.

I've had a look at congress, I have it running on my game server and it
is registered as a service in Keystone after following [2] (except I
installed the software from CentOS 7 "cloud" repo, "openstack-queens"
[3] but at the moment, calls to the API are returning "Service
Unavailable (HTTP 503)". This may be because there are no datasources
configured. I started to write a driver for the dummy service [4] but as
the game itself does not have a RESTful API, I'm not sure what approach
to take here. I note that this distinction may favour a driver which is
a subclass of PushedDataSourceDriver, rather than
PollingDataSourceDriver. Failing that, I might pursue the Oslo policy
library route, but again, I'm having difficulty in finding where to
start. How might you suggest going about making a new, dummy service,
such as that which I have described?

Best wishes,
Bruno

[1] https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/30710337.pdf - Chapter 6