[Openstack] [OpenStack][Keystone][new_service]

Eric K ekcs.openstack at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 21:17:56 UTC 2018

Hi Bruno!

What is the new service you're looking to develop?

I think the answer depends on your needs. Most openstack projects use
the oslo policy library as a PDP to protect API access [1]. On the
other hand, if you want dynamic rules and very fine-grained access
control, you may also consider Openstack Congress [2] which offers a
general and flexible rule framework.

Either way, here is how it typically works in an openstack service:
Policy rules are written and stored in the chosen policy framework.
For oslo policy, this is typically the json file containing policy
rules. In Congress, the policy store is managed by Congress service
and accessed via Congress API.
When an API is accessed, the service serving the API acts as the PEP.
It consults the PDP to see whether something is allowed, and enforces
that decision. For oslo policy, this is a library call [3]. For
Congress, this is an API call to Congress service to query the result
of rule evaluation [4][5].

For oslo policy, the main PAP is the json file containing the policy
rules. For congress, the policies and rules are managed through the
Congress API/GUI/client.

Hope that helps. Happy to talk further!

Eric
OpenStack Congress contributor