[Openstack] Adding new Hard disk to Compute Node

Jay See jayachander.it at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:06:49 UTC 2018

Hai,

Thanks for a quick response.

- what do you mean by "disks are not added"? Does the server recognize
them? Do you see them in the output of "lsblk"?
Server does not add them automatically, I tried to mount them. I tried they
way they discussed in the page with /dev/sdb only. Other hard disks I have
mounted them my self. Yes I can see them in lsblk output as below
root at h020:~# lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL
NAME                                          FSTYPE        SIZE
MOUNTPOINT                   LABEL
sda                                                         5.5T
├─sda1                                        vfat          500M
                  ESP
├─sda2                                        vfat          100M
                  DIAGS
└─sda3                                        vfat            2G
                  OS
sdb                                                         5.5T
├─sdb1                                                      5.5T
├─cinder--volumes-cinder--volumes--pool_tmeta                84M
│ └─cinder--volumes-cinder--volumes--pool                   5.2T
└─cinder--volumes-cinder--volumes--pool_tdata               5.2T
  └─cinder--volumes-cinder--volumes--pool                   5.2T
sdc                                                         5.5T
└─sdc1                                        xfs           5.5T
sdd                                                         5.5T
└─sdd1                                        xfs           5.5T
/var/lib/nova/instances/sdd1
sde                                                         5.5T
└─sde1                                        xfs           5.5T
/var/lib/nova/instances/sde1
sdf                                                         5.5T
└─sdf1                                        xfs           5.5T
/var/lib/nova/instances/sdf1
sdg                                                         5.5T
└─sdg1                                        xfs           5.5T
/var/lib/nova/instances/sdg1
sdh                                                         5.5T
└─sdh1                                        xfs           5.5T
/var/lib/nova/instances/sdh1
sdi                                                         5.5T
└─sdi1                                        xfs           5.5T
/var/lib/nova/instances/sdi1
sdj                                                         5.5T
└─sdj1                                        xfs           5.5T
/var/lib/nova/instances/sdj1
sdk                                                         372G
├─sdk1                                        ext2          487M /boot
├─sdk2                                                        1K
└─sdk5                                        LVM2_member 371.5G
  ├─h020--vg-root                             ext4        370.6G /
  └─h020--vg-swap_1                           swap          976M [SWAP]

- Do you already have existing physical volumes for cinder (assuming you
deployed cinder with lvm as in the provided link)?
Yes, I have tried one of the HD (/dev/sdb)

- If the system recognizes the new disks and you deployed cinder with lvm
you can create a new physical volume and extend your existing volume group
to have more space for cinder. Is this a failing step or someting else?
System does not recognize the disks automatically, I have manually mounted
them or added them to cinder.

In Nova-Compute logs I can only see main hard disk shown in the the
complete phys_disk, it was supposed to show more  phys_disk available
atleast 5.8 TB if only /dev/sdb is added as per my understand (May be I am
thinking it in the wrong way, I want increase my compute node disk size to
launch more VMs)

2018-08-08 11:58:41.722 34111 INFO nova.compute.resource_tracker
[req-a180079f-d7c0-4430-9c14-314ac4d0832b - - - - -] F
inal resource view: name=h020 phys_ram=515767MB used_ram=512MB
*phys_disk=364GB* used_disk=0GB total_vcpus=
40 used_vcpus=0 pci_stats=[]

- Please describe more precisely what exactly you tried and what exactly
fails.
As explained in the previous point, I want to increase the  phys_disk size
to use the compute node more efficiently. So to add the HD to compute node
I am installing cinder on the compute node to add all the HDs.

I might be doing something wrong.

Thanks and Regards,
Jayachander.

​