[Openstack] can't delete volume because host does not have free space

Manuel Sopena Ballesteros manuel.sb at garvan.org.au
Sun Apr 15 23:36:59 UTC 2018

Dear Openstack community,

I have an all-in-one opentack installation and the host ran out of space.

I tried to delete a volume bit it failed, I guess because openstack needs to free space for operations...

Because of this is did some cleaning by deleting log files but looks like it is not enough because I tried to delete the volume again and it failed.

The problem now is that all the remaining free space has been taken by the "delete volume operation" and I can't clean anything else from the server...

[root at openstack ~(keystone_admin)]# sudo du -sh /var/lib/cinder/cinder-volumes
7.7T    /var/lib/cinder/cinder-volumes

[root at openstack ~(keystone_admin)]# sudo du -sh /var/lib/glance/*
1.4T    /var/lib/glance/images

[root at openstack ~(keystone_admin)]# df -h
/dev/md127      9.1T  9.1T   20K 100% /
devtmpfs        252G     0  252G   0% /dev
tmpfs           252G  4.0K  252G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           252G  4.1G  248G   2% /run
tmpfs           252G     0  252G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1      1014M  178M  837M  18% /boot
/dev/loop0      1.9G  6.1M  1.7G   1% /srv/node/swiftloopback
tmpfs            51G     0   51G   0% /run/user/0

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you very much

Manuel Sopena Ballesteros | Big data Engineer
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
The Kinghorn Cancer Centre, 370 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
T: + 61 (0)2 9355 5760 | F: +61 (0)2 9295 8507 | E: manuel.sb at garvan.org.au<mailto:manuel.sb at garvan.org.au>

NOTICE
Please consider the environment before printing this email. This message and any attachments are intended for the addressee named and may contain legally privileged/confidential/copyright information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read, use, disclose, copy or distribute this communication. If you have received this message in error please notify us at once by return email and then delete both messages. We accept no liability for the distribution of viruses or similar in electronic communications. This notice should not be removed.