[Openstack] linuxbridge or open vswitch choice

Timothy Geier tgeier at accertify.com
Mon Apr 9 21:35:32 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-04-08 at 21:49 +0300, s serge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could you please advice a technical decision how to made a choice
> between linuxbridge and Open vSwitch for
> an OpenStack deployment ?
>
> While Open vSwitch is more flexible and provides more features, it
> also involves additional level of complexity.
>
> However, are there OpenStack features which can only be utilised
> using Open vSwitch functionality or is it implemented
> in OpenStack just as an option to choose?
>
> According to https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/linuxonib
> m/liaag/wkvm/wkvm_c_net_conbridge.htm,
> there is no significant difference in the terms of performance, but
> Open vSwitch implies more additional attendance to
> understand and debug network level.
>
> I would appreciate a feedback based on real operation and maintenance
> experience.

In my experience, linuxbridge works very well and is a lot simpler to
set up and configure in an environment where other software/hardware is
handling the general network configuration (especially if you have
experience with using network bridges on Linux KVM deployments).

I would go with linuxbridge (especially in a straightfoward setup)
unless the additional features of openvswitch are needed.