[Openstack] [pike] general how to get off the ground questions

David Medberry openstack at medberry.net
Sun Apr 1 22:49:15 UTC 2018

Generally recommended to start with a cloud-image and these are available
for Centos and RHEL.

You can then customize (either via cloud-init which would be the cloud-way
or via making a new image from your existing customized instances.)
RHEL
https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/69/ver=/rhel---7/7.4/x86_64/product-software
look for the kvm guest image
Centos: https://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/

I believe there is an ISO how to... lmgtfy:
https://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/create-images-manually.html

The kvm images listed above for RHEL and Centos provide the appropriate
drivers "out of the box" for a virtual environment.

Not sure why you think you need custom interface names. The interfaces
produced by using the cloud images above should work fine.

Cloud init will also help you with any initial customization. You can do
this via vendordata if you want to do it "cloud wide" or you can do it via
user data. Here's an introduction:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/4/html/End_User_Guide/user-data.html
https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Automating_Openstack_with_Cloud_init_run_a_script_on_VMs_first_boot.html

So, worry LESS about image use and customization and focus on getting your
cloud up and running. Here's a protip: Your first VM should just be a
cirros instance. See here:
https://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/obtain-images.html
http://download.cirros-cloud.net/

Once you have a cirros working correctly (networking, etc), then go on to
worrying about getting a working Centos or RHEL. Cirros IS ABSOLUTELY NOT
for production work as there is a user login enabled by default (to aid in
testing.) But once you have proven it out, you can begin creating your
production images.

OpenStack setup (even for a small environment) is not as easy as falling
off a log... more like learning to walk. Once you can "walk" then you can
"run" your instances of a more useful sort.

-dave