[Openstack] Disable distributed loadbalancers (LBaaSv2)?

Brian Haley haleyb.dev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 13:50:28 UTC 2017

On 09/16/2017 12:25 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> When I setup my OS cluster over a year ago, I chose to use
> distributed LBaaSv2. That sounded like the most sensible
> thing - redundancy is the primary goal with me choosing
> OS in the first place!
>
> However, it turned out that there’s a very grave bug in
> OS - Neutron - (only just recently fixed - a few weeks ago and
> only in the latest development code).
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1494003
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1493809
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1583694
>
> I run Newton (and don’t want to risk everything by either
> re-installing or upgrading - last time it took me two months
> to get things working again!).
>
> Doesn’t seem to be any backport of the fix to Newton :( :(.

Sorry, due to the invasiveness of the changes it won't be backported to
Newton, only Pike will have this support.  It also might be slightly
broken until very recent code in stable/pike...

> Does anyone have an idea on how I can “hack” the DB
> (MySQL) so that it isn’t distributed any more? The OS
> command line tools won’t let you de-distribute one :(.
>
> This should be “fairly” straight forward, for anyone that knows
> the “inner workings” of Neutron. Simply “undo” whatever
>
>      neutron router-create --distributed True --ha False rname
>
> did. I can’t unfortunately delete the router and then recreate
> it without destroying my whole setup, instances, networks,
> etc, etc. Everything “hangs” off of that router...

I think you should be able to remove the router interfaces on the
external and internal networks then remove the router, without removing
any of the private networks, etc.  Then you can create it again with
--distributed=False.  VMs might lose connectivity for a bit though.

Ocata supports DVR -> Centralized router migration, so you would only
have to go forward one release if you choose that path.

-Brian