[Openstack] Dibbler, ipv6_pd_enabled, and Ubuntu.

Jorge Luiz Correa correajl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 11:52:03 UTC 2017

Hi Ken!

So:
> * Where do I modify the neutron.conf file (API or gateway)?

Here I have ipv6_pd_enabled = true configured in neutron.conf in controller
node and network node.

According the docs "This tells OpenStack Networking to use the prefix
delegation mechanism for subnet allocation when the user does not provide a
CIDR or subnet pool id when creating a subnet". You will see bellow that on
subnet creation you use --use_default_subnetpool. So, I think this
configuration is what make the things work!

> * How do I tell Openstack about where the Dibbler server is?

According the docs <
https://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/config-ipv6.html>
Dibbler must be reachable from the network node.

"To use this feature, you need a prefix delegation capable DHCPv6 server
that is reachable from your OpenStack Networking node(s). This could be
software running on the OpenStack Networking node(s) or elsewhere, or a
physical router."

Here Dibbler is running on network node. Beyond that I have a script that
Dibbler runs just after delegate a prefix. This script set a route the the
new network and apply some iptables rules.

> * What subnet configuration should I employ?
> * What would a typical network creation look like in such a circumstance?

You should configure dibbler with a pd-class informing the range and prefix
of ipv6 that you would like to use. For example, you could configure a /56
range with a prefix /64. So, your networks will get a /64 network when
established.

pd-class {
     pd-pool 2001:db8:2222::/56
     pd-length 64
 }

Network creation:

$ neutron net-create my-net

Neutron subnet creation:

$ neutron subnet-create my-net --name my-subnet-ipv6 --ip_version 6
--ipv6_ra_mode dhcpv6-stateless --ipv6_address_mode dhcpv6-stateless
--dns-nameserver 2001:db8::fffe --use_default_subnetpool

Creating router:

$ neutron router-create my-router

Adding a interface:

$ neutron router-interface-add my-router my-subnet-ipv6

After some seconds you could check subnet information. You should see the
network prefix allocated to this subnet.

$ neutron subnet-show my-subnet-ipv6

> * Am I missing anything really dumb/stupid?

You can run a "tail -f " on dibbler log to see if requests are being made.

> Thanks kindly,
>
> -Ken

Hope to help!