[Openstack] [heat] AutoScalingGroup and dependents

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Nov 21 22:48:08 UTC 2017

On 19/11/17 11:27, Lars-Erik Helander wrote:
> I am using OS::Heat::AutoScalingGroup in the following type of scenario
>
> resources:
>
>     my_vm:
>
>        type: SOME_TEMPLATE_WITH_A_VM_CONNECTED_TO_MULTIPLE_NETWORKS
>
>        properties:
>
>          networks: { get_attr: [my_networks, outputs_list, my_network] }
>
>     my_networks:
>
>       type: OS::Heat::AutoScalingGroup
>
>       properties:
>
>          resource:
>
>             type:
> SOME_TEMPLATE_WITH_A_NETWORK_ATTRIBUTE_my_network_HOLDS_NETWORK_ID
>
> When I deploy my stack everything works as expected. When I trigger
> (using a ScalingPolicy and its alarm_url) the my_networks group scales
> as expected.
>
> Now I want the my_vm resource to adjust to the new state (re-evaluation
> of { get_attr: [my_networks, outputs_list, my_network] } ).
>
> Can this be done ?

It won't be updated until the parent stack is updated. (You can update
it using the --existing option to not change the
template/environment/parameters.)

The old AWS Autoscaling resource has a hard-coded hack for updating a
loadbalancer after each scaling operation. We never did think of a tidy
mechanism for exposing something similar to the template author in a
flexible way.

cheers,
Zane.