[Openstack] nova - Error in cells

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 05:30:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 09:07:19 +0530 (IST), Sgopinath S.gopinath wrote:
> But when I execute
>
>   su -s /bin/sh -c "nova-manage cell_v2 discover_hosts --verbose" nova
>
> I get the error
>
>   ProgrammingError: (pymysql.err.ProgrammingError) (1146, u"Table
> 'nova_api.compute_nodes' doesn't exist")
>
> I could not find compute_nodes table in the database nova_api.

It sounds like when you created your cell, you gave it the nova_api
database connection information instead of the nova database connection
information (where the compute_nodes table is). You can check the
details of your cells by doing 'nova-manage cell_v2 list_cells
--verbose'.  Assuming you have a single cell deployment (standard) you
should see two cells in the output, one is cell0 and one is your compute
cell. The compute cell 'Database Connection' should be pointing at your
nova database. If it's not, you can update it using 'nova-manage cell_v2
update_cell --database_connection <nova database url>'. Then restart the
nova-api services.

You can check out the documentation for more details:

https://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/cells.html#setup-of-cells-v2

Hope that helps,
melanie