[Openstack] Floating IP association using Heat

D. Davide Lamanna davide.lamanna at binarioetico.it
Mon Jun 12 13:04:25 UTC 2017

On 12/06/2017 14:41, Tim Schuh wrote:
> Start with basics since you didn't mention those specifically.
Ok. Thank you.

heat_template_version: 2015-04-30

> Is the connection actively refused or does it time out?

It's a "Connection refused"

> Does the instance reply to ICMP in both cases?
ICMP is disabled in both cases.
nmap in the not-working case:

554/tcp  open  rtsp
7070/tcp open  realserver

> Service listening on the target instance?

22/tcp   open   ssh
25/tcp   closed smtp
80/tcp   open   http
443/tcp  open   https
554/tcp  open   rtsp
7070/tcp open   realserver
8080/tcp closed http-proxy

In the meantime I have an update.

I deleted and launched the stack a bunch of times. Since the machine
must have a fixed local IP plus a fixed floating IP (both of them must
be fixed), I tried to dismiss the local IP address static definition
(leaving it to DHCP) and the FIP association worked fine! So I thought
of possible syncronization problems, i.e. what is done before or after?
Then I tried to put the local fixed IP address back in the template and
it worked, in a unpredictable way. So I'm afraid I can't say my issue is
solved until I'm 100% sure the template always works.

Can this be a task sequence issue? What is the rule for the order of
tasks within Heat? (The "association" is the last task written in the
YAML file, anyway).

Sorry for basic questions.

Cheers,
Dave