[Openstack] How do you manage your openstack utilisation?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 13:44:46 UTC 2017

On 07/23/2017 07:51 PM, Manuel Sopena Ballesteros wrote:
> Dear Openstack community,
>
> We are a medical research institute and we have been running HPC for
> many years, we started playing with Openstack a few months ago and we
> like it’s flexibility to deploy multiple environments. However we are
> quite concern about the resource utilization, what I mean is that, in
> HPC the resources are released for the rest of the community once job
> has finished, however a VM keeps the resources for the owner of the vm
> until the instance is killed.
>
> I would like to ask, how do you organize your resources used by
> Openstack to maximize utilization across the organization?
>
> Thank you very much

Hi Manuel,

You may wish to check out the Blazar project or get in touch with their
contributor team:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blazar

Blazar adds a reservable dimension to Nova's compute service and there
is a notion of something that "cleans up" VMs after their reservation is
expired. It may fit your needs here.

Best,
-jay