[Openstack] How do you manage your openstack utilisation?

Mike Smith mismith at overstock.com
Mon Jul 24 00:23:36 UTC 2017

One thing we do at Overstock.com<http://Overstock.com> to try and help with this concern in our dev and test environments is to require that an expiration date is associated with each Openstack resource.  As users spin up an environment, they have an expiration date such that if they don’t renew their ‘lease’, their instances are suspended and then destroyed shortly thereafter.  This expiration information is stored outside Openstack in the system that they interact with for requesting resources.

Doesn’t solve all your problems - since users can (and often do) just renew their environments all the time, but it does ensure that if people do not tell us that they are still actively using their resources, that they are removed.