[Openstack] [Neutron] Unable to update provider information for external network

Davide Panarese dpanarese at enter.eu
Tue Jan 31 09:50:54 UTC 2017

Hello guys,
i’m trying to reconfigure our network infrastructure to able to create multiple external network private to single tenant. We run Openstack Kilo actually.
Now we have a simple configuration for public network that use VXLAN as provider:network-type and use br-ex with two bonded interfaces (OVS configuration). On switch that ports are in access mode on specific VLAN.

+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                     | Value                                |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| admin_state_up            | True                                 |
| id                        | a6dcba92-18d8-427a-9668-e50c4a37c813 |
| mtu                       |                                      |
| name                      | PublicNetwork                        |
| provider:network_type     | vxlan                                |
| provider:physical_network |                                      |
| provider:segmentation_id  | 101                                  |
| router:external           | True                                 |
| shared                    | False                                |
| status                    | ACTIVE                               |
| subnets                   | de95fc11-3fbb-4bfd-9e20-ab22a3f473c9 |
| tenant_id                 | 4e5384a918024b73b3acd52a91f09be3     |

I thought that to enable multiple external network i need to change network-type to VLAN and modify port on switch setting to trunk mode with all VLAN i want, and in theory is simple. But Neutron said that is not supported to update provider information for networks (Invalid input for operation: Plugin does not support updating provider attributes.)

I excluded to configure provider networks because we should need to change all network configuration on compute nodes and switches. It’s too much expensive in terms of time.

Anyone could help me? Are there other strategies? Should I use another physical network on network nodes and configure new VLAN external network on that?
Or i’m wrong at all?

Thanks in advance

Davide