[Openstack] [devstack] Default devstack guest does not respond to ping/ssh

Adam Kimball baha at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jan 16 20:47:06 UTC 2017

Greetings,
I've been attempting to get a working devstack configuration for a few
days no, and have been running into issues with networking.
Specifically, after creating a local server, I've been unable to connect
to it using a public interface from the same machine. Here are the steps
I've attempted thus far:

  * Run devstack via stack.sh, with passwords correctly initialized
      o Note: upon completion, there are two 'default' security group
        entries listed when running 'openstack security group list'.
  * On both security groups, rules were created in an attempt to allow
    ssh and ping
      o openstack security group rule create $secgroup_uuid --protocol
        tcp --dst-port 22 --remote-ip 0.0.0.0/0
      o openstack security group rule create $secgroup_uuid --protocol
        udp --dst-port 22 --remote-ip 0.0.0.0/0
      o openstack security group rule create $secgroup_uuid --protocol
        icmp --dst-port -1 --remote-ip 0.0.0.0/0
  * We then launch an instance
      o openstack server create --image cirros-0.3.4-x86_64-uec --flavor
        m1.medium test
  *
    This instance seems to launch fully. It has an address from the
    network named 'public'.
        However, according to the logs, as it's coming up, DHCP seems to
        fail!
        I have also tried with Ubuntu, rather than cirros, to check for
        image corruption.

As a result, I'm unable to ping or ssh into the instance. Any thoughts
or helpful comments?
Thanks,
Adam Kimball