[Openstack] transfer of IP address between ports

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Mon Aug 28 08:09:21 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,

sorry for delay in responding, there were Ukrainian Independence Day and
we were on holidays, spending time with family and friends :)

On 8/24/17 6:36 PM, 공용준 wrote:
>> There is another scenario. It's going to be public cloud and there
>> can be few reasons to allow customer to move pubic IP address between
>> his VMs, e.g. he built another VM using another OS for same role and
>> need to move this role from old VM to new VM, do not changing other
>> infrastructure's configurations. Five or ten seconds of cool down
>> time isn't a problem itself, since it's not for high availability
> Did you consider the lbaas for this purpose? I think floating IP’s
> concept is good, but the implementation I think we need to rethink
> about this.
> and I thinks opentack’s octavia also do the job.
Yes, I'm considering LBaaS, but as another service in my public cloud :)
So, don't want to provide it as part of base set of services.

I will check what you did in order to solve this issue, but preliminary
I think that you're right and floating IP is the best solution for this
(since don't require Openstack modification). The only concern I have
regarding floating IP is performance since NAT is involved and this can
lead to performance degradation. I think I will provide two kinds of IP
addresses - fixed and transferable. And if somebody needs to preserve IP
address between two different instance, he will choose transferable IP
for additional cost - this will prevent massive NAT, on the one hand and
will compensate additional resources exhaustion, on the other.

Thank you!

--
Volodymyr Litovka
   "Vision without Execution is Hallucination." -- Thomas Edison