[Openstack] [OpenStack] [keystone] How to make keystone highly available?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Sep 20 19:56:36 UTC 2016

On Sep 20, 2016, at 3:09 PM, Alexandr Porunov wrote:

> So, I decided just to use two keystone servers with the same virtual IP address.

Now that you've made your decision, I'd like to ask some
followup questions for my own decision if I may.

Most everyone have talked about some kind of load balancer or
HA solution.

My setup is such that that wouldn't be .. "workable".

My whole Openstack setup is installed on a HP Bladecenter
with 16 half hight nodes so all communication etc is pretty
much internal in the blade center. I.e, the only external
link is the one to the rest of the flat and then to the
gatway/firewall/NATbox.

Also, having a LB in front of MySQL (and possibly one more
in front of Keystone), that will introduce a "single point
of failure" that I'd prefer not to have (even if it was
practically possible - I don't want to dedicate a whole
BC node just for that, they're to precious).

What would be the impact and/or problem by using DNS round
robin for MySQL and Keystone for example? And then have
MySQL in a master-master setup. I've never done that either,
so I'm not sure how good idea that would be.. Any pointers?

The only DB I've ever had the .. "displeasure" to try to get
to work in a master-master setup is OpenLDAP and I can remember
(vividly!) the discussions that's been on the OpenLDAP lists
about this over the years! In essence, "don't, for the love of
whoever, do it!!".
--
Choose a job you love, and you will never have
to work a day in your life.