[Openstack] [OpenStack] [keystone] How to make keystone highly available?

Alexandr Porunov alexandr.porunov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:09:06 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your advice!
In my case one keystone server can easily hold a load. I don't need to
balance a load between two or more keystone servers. However I need two
keystone servers for high availability. So, I decided just to use two
keystone servers with the same virtual IP address.
Pros:
- I can easily configure HA
- I don't need to use a master/master replication for a database.
- I don't need to use load balancers.
- I don't need to learn peacemaker
Cons:
- It will not increase the overall throughput
- One of the keystone servers will always be at a cold state

However. We can rid of cons by using two virtual IP adresses. So, we can
use a half proxy servers with keystone1 and another half of proxy servers
with keystone2. If one of the keystone servers will be dead then keepalived
will assign both virtual ip addresses to the alive node. After node will be
brought back to live keepalived will reassign IP addresses back (It isn't
the load balancing but our throughput will increase). If our clients will
use proxy servers with both keystone1 and keystone 2 then we have to use
master/master replication for the database.

Best regards,
Alexandr