[Openstack] [Swift] Unexplained 404s

Shrinand Javadekar shrinand at maginatics.com
Fri May 20 17:27:09 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am troubleshooting a test setup where Swift returned a 201 for
objects that were put in it but later when I tried to read it, I got
back 404s.

The system has been under load. I see lots of connection errors,
lock-timeouts, etc. However, I am not sure if ever Swift should be
returning a 404.

I tried simulating some of these on a different setup and always got
the expected response (which wasn't a 404).

- Stopped memcached and did a blob get. This returned a 401 Unauthorized error.

- Stopped the object-server and did a blob get. This returned a 503
internal server error.

- Stopped the container-server. This didn't have any effect. The
container-server is not looked during every GET.
- Stopped the account-server. Same result as container-server.

Any ideas on when Swift might return a 404 even though the object was
successfully written?

Thanks in advance.
-Shri