[Openstack] load balancer as a service for all protocols

Alex Barclay alex at planet-barclay.com
Mon May 16 14:49:48 UTC 2016

Hi Priyanka

I'll dive in a little here. As I may know a little about LBaaS on OpenStack.

If you're on Juno you'll be using Neutron LBaaS v1 - warning - this is
deprecated in Liberty. It has limitations such as inability to support
TLS termination, multiple simultaneous TCP ports (e.g. one virtual IP
can't do both 80 and 443). Coming in Kilo and through Mitaka we've been
changing over the Neutron LBaaS v2 which can provide the missing
features I've mentioned above.

Neutron LBaaS is an API/plugin architecture that's very similar to other
parts of OpenStack. As an example, for LBaaS v1 I've been working
closely with F5 and their driver (not sure if it'll work back on Juno
though). Moving forward to LBaaS v2 there are 2 out of the box drivers:
HAProxy which is the original driver (and deprecated in Liberty) and
Octavia which is the replacement software load balancer (and runs LBs in
Nova VMs). There are also a rich set of drivers available from companies
such as F5, A10, Citrix and Radware. Multiple drivers can be installed
simultaneously so you can create some LBs on F5 and others on Octavia,
as an example.

Now for the big question: If you can upgrade I'd strongly suggest it. To
be honest Neutron and associated services have been improving markedly
since Icehouse and were a work in progress in Juno. If you can't upgrade
I'd suggest using an external load balancer which you would connect to
your VMs using a provider network (i.e. a Neutron net where you specify
the encapsulation type and id - e.g. VLAN or VXLAN and the appropriate
segmentation ID), alternatively if you are only protecting external
services you can run your load balancer externally to the entire cloud.

Sorry the story isn't better in Juno - it's been a long path from the
Atlanta summit, where we decided to fix LBaaS, to where we are today.

Regards

Alex