[Openstack] Multi-Node OpenStack with no VLANs

James Denton james.denton at rackspace.com
Thu May 5 04:16:18 UTC 2016

Hi John,

What you are describing is a perfectly valid and common scenario. The segmentation IDs don't really come out of thin air, though. They are defined as a range of IDs in the ML2 or openvswitch agent configuration file depending on the version of OpenStack. There could be a performance penalty with VXLAN over VLAN, depending on your NIC and MTU size, and other caveats I won't go in to. But, you gain some flexibility.

At some point, though, you will need at least one VLAN or untagged (flat) network as your provider network. That will need to be trunked to the nodes hosting the L3 agent(s), and possibly all nodes in the case of DVR.

James