[Openstack] Multi-Node OpenStack with no VLANs

John van Ommen john.vanommen at gmail.com
Thu May 5 02:11:43 UTC 2016

I am working on an OpenStack deployment where my customer's VLANs do
not appeared to be configured properly.

I am in a time crunch and I'm looking for a way to work around this.

Would it be possible to use VxLAN for my guest traffic, and basically
pick the subnets arbitrarily?

I am using OpenStack Kilo with KVM for my compute nodes, and I'm using
OVS for switching. It *seems* like I could pick the networks "out of
thin air" with VxLAN, and let OVS deal with the tags, instead of using
VLAN and have the customer's switches deal with the tags.

Will that work?