[Openstack] Neutron Provider Networks Without DHCP

Brent Troge brenttroge2016 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 19:44:22 UTC 2016

Using HEAT, I am creating VM instances against a neutron provider network
that does not
supply DHCP services.

Still using HEAT, any ideas on how I can grab the MAC address of the
assigned neutron port? I will also need to grab the IP Neutron has
allocated to my VM instance.

I will pass the MAC and IP to a user-data template.
The MAC will be used to find the name of the network interface on the VM.
Once the script finds the correct interface name, the user-data script
will plumb the VM NIC, then continue to create the network interface file
to make the network changes persistent.

So I guess my first hurdle is to find out how to modify my existing heat
template to discover
the allocated MAC and IP of the created/attached neutron port.  Then pass
those data points to
a cloud-init user-data script.