[Openstack] Fw: Re: Cinder Multiple Backends - Filter On Tenant

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:00:48 UTC 2016

On March 19, 2016 at 19:13:33, Erlon Cruz (sombrafam at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi Brent,
>
> Unfortunately that is not possible. The feature mentioned by Vahric,
> driver_filter, is a 'driver' custom filter capability. I.e., the vendor
> driver must implement that in order to be possible to use (surely, nothing
> holds you from implementing in the driver if your vendor does not supports
> it). You are trying to filter based in the volume size, the exiting
> filters, filter based in the host's available size not the volume.
>
> About the tenant filtering, the closest solution I can think of is is you
> create a volume type associated with the backend you want to cast volumes o
> the tenant, and then remove the permissions of all other available
> volume-types so, the tenant only sees that volume type.
>
> Can you give the reason why you need to filter like that? This could be a
> good addition to future Cinder features.
>
> Erlon
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 7:57 PM, Brent Troge <brenttroge2016 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> yeah, i have read through those, plus i did some reading through the
>> actual code of all kilo/stable cinder filters
>>
>> i any case i think i have a good path forward, just need to start testing
>> to understand this a bit more.
>>
>> thanks for taking the time to assist.
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Vahric Muhtaryan <vahric at doruk.net.tr>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I found this
>>>

>>> http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/blockstorage-driver-filter-weighing.html
>>>
>>> And this
>>>

>>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/filtering-weighing-with-driver-supplied-functions
>>>
>>> From: Brent Troge <brenttroge2016 at gmail.com>
>>> Date: Thursday 25 February 2016 at 16:17
>>> To: "openstack at lists.openstack.org" <openstack at lists.openstack.org>
>>> Subject: [Openstack] Cinder Multiple Backends - Filter On Tenant
>>>
>>> I need the cinder filter to support directing volumes to a specific
>>> backend based on tenant id and volume size.
>>>
>>> Something like:
>>>
>>> # tenant specific backend
>>> [backend-1]
>>> filter = (volume_size > 100G) && (tenant_id == abc123)
>>>
>>> # all others
>>> [backend-2]
>>> filter = (volume_size < 100G)
>>>

>>> Is this possible with the current set of kilo stable cinder filters ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

> ​Hi Erlon,

Cinder has the ability to set access rights on Volume Types.  I haven't
looked at it in a while, but what you could do is set the type up based on
the backend, and then apply access to the tenant you want there.

One thing I guess we'd need to consider is different default types
per/tenant which seems like it would be a useful feature if there's not
already a way to make it work.

John