[Openstack] DHCP + vlan

Sergey Arlashin sergeyarl.maillist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 06:58:15 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I have a simple VLAN-based setup: single controller node and multiple
compute nodes. Currently neutron DHCP agent resides on controller node
and uses dnsmasq as a DHCP server.

The problem is that dnsmasq is listening on tap877d3721-e2 interface
which is mapped to only one particular VLAN. On this particular box (I
mean controller node) VLAN tags are stripped from incoming packets (due
to external network configuration which I'm not authorized to change).
Therefore VM instances cannot get their IPs via DHCP - I see the
incoming DHCP requests with tcpdump but dnsmasq is just ignoring them. I
understand that it might be not a correct approach but the current
situation demands that we make DHCP server be assigned to all interfaces
including external bridge (br-eth0) . Not only tap877d3721-e2.
Regardless of VLAN.
However I haven't found a way do achieve this.

Can anybody please help me to solve this situation?

Thank you!

Regards,
Sergey