[Openstack] Openstack migration , complicated .. doable?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Mar 11 14:59:43 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Florian Rommel's message of 2016-03-11 04:06:39 -0800:
> Hi, I am involved in a project where there is a need to migrate instances from an older Openstack release (Juno) to Liberty. However the trick is that all the instances should be moved into Ceph as a backend.
>
> So far, the only thing i have figured out to do is create all the networks etc manually.
> then create a snapshot of each instance in the old environment, do a glance image download, import it into the new environment, spawn a new instance and then alter the database to reflect the image used to create, the actual OS image and delete the imported snapshot.

Why would you alter the database? There's nothing really wrong with
having a bunch of instances running from unique images.

> Is there ANYTHING that could be done smoother?we are talking a lot of image exports and moving..
> :(

Were I in your position. I'd spin up new instances on the new cloud, and
then rsync the data to the new instances. Is there something preventing
you from doing it that way?